September's Plant of the month is Adenium (Desert Rose) which produces a milky sap that can be poisonous to animals. For your pet's safety, keep this beautiful plant in an area of your home that your pet can not access.
Toxicity- According to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, the desert rose is poisonous to dogs because it contains toxic chemicals called glycosides. These toxins are present in the sap of the plants, which can cause internal discomfort if eaten by your dog and can also irritate his skin, warns "Dog Friendly Gardens: Garden Friendly Dogs." The sap of the plant is present in all of its parts and is emitted when the plant is bruised or otherwise damaged.
Effects-If your dog eats the desert rose plant, expect him to experience vomiting, diarrhea, gastrointestinal pain, excessive drooling and blistering of the mouth and throat, according to the Whitney Veterinary Hospital. This sap can also lead to blistering and redness of the skin. For irritated skin issues, wash the sap off of the dog's skin using a nontoxic, gentle soap before bringing your pooch into the vet. Wear gloves so it doesn't get on your hands. If your pet has ingested any of the desert rose, get him to the vet immediately.
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
I'm busy working on my blog posts. Watch this space!